These stones are a standard pattern tied with biots, dubbing and wire rib. I used a shelback of Thin Skin on some and Medallion Sheeting on one. They will both work fine and I am sure the fish can't tell the difference. The dubbing I used was Nature's Spirit Amber Emergence Dubbing, one I am becoming to love on nymphs. The wings are computer packing foam, the kind you find your keyboard and other computer parts wrapped up in when you first open it up. I used a caddis wing cutter to get the shape of the wings and on this particular size, I used a #18 caddis cutter. For smaller stones, such as a #14, you might have to cut these by hand as I think the wings would be too big for that size bug. I colored the wings with a brown marker making sure to make a few coats as this foam really doesn't take maker all that well. I made sure to hit the edges well, so that the ink soaks up into the foam edges, giving it a nice, bold outline. For the black stone, I used some MFC Phoenix Dubbing in Black Beetle color. Any buggy dubbing will work for you as long as it is buggy. I will be tying up more of these and tweaking things here and there, but for now I like the look.
YETI | Stories - 120 Days
2 days ago