Monday, January 25, 2010

New MFC threads. Some good stuff

If you get the chance, grab a couple of spools of Montana Fly Company's new threads that they have on the market. I have several rolls in both 8/0 and 6/0. I can honestly say that I really like this stuff. It is small in diameter and when you spin it, it lays flat. I currently use Uni and UTC threads, but this new stuff may work its way into the bobbin more often now. It ties great on the small stuff and the colors are vibrant and true to the label. I just ordered more spools today and can't wait to see the other colors they offer. MFC has lots of cool stuff that I am playing around with now and I hope to report back with other materials, so stay tuned.







7 comments:

  1. looks similar to danville thread which is what I generally use... how does this compare to utc's ultra thread?

    ReplyDelete
  2. MFC has a lot of new stuff including emerger/scud hooks (2488). I can find no retail outlet to buy these. Including online. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian,

    It's much different than UTC. It's closer to Uni, but even more closer to Gordan Griffiths than the others. I like it and it seems smaller than Uni, but is probably very similar in size to Uni 8/0 or 70 denier. It lays down flat, way better than Uni and I use it on both nymphs and dries. You'll have to try some if you can. I am still playing with it, but so far so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a site on my work computer that seem to carry a lot of MFC stuff. Tomorrow I will post that site. I can't remember what it is.

    The new emerger hook is just as good as the 2488 and Dia-Riki 125s. Except they start at #16s. I'd like to see a size 14 or even better a heavy wire hook in that shape like the 2488H. You hear me Adam Trina?????

    Juan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check out thi site.

    http://www.dreamdriftflies.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Juan:

    Can you counter-spin this thread to get it to lay flat like you can with the UTC and Danville? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes you can and yes it does. It does a great job doing it too. I use this thread now about 97% of the time now. It also splits great to. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete