Friday, May 20, 2016

Do you need a better rod for nymphing? Yes, you do!

It seems like a while since I last posted and looking back, it has!  I've been on the water quite a bit recently, guiding and actually fishing on my own some.  Over the last few weeks, I've wanted to share something with you about rods.  Nymphing rods in particular.  I am here to tell you that you need to save up, sell some old gear, mow some lawns or whatever you can do to save up some money to buy yourself a 10 foot rod for nymphing.  I have been guiding with a 3 and 4wt 10 wt. rod for a couple of years now and I can say that they really do make a difference.  I can put them in the hands of my clients and have them casting instantly and making good drifts with nymphs.  There are so many advantages when it comes to nymphing, but it all boils down to better casting and presentation which leads to more opportunities.  I recently took out a new to me rod, a 10' 5wt rod.  It was the perfect rod for the situation.  Small nymphs and lots of lead.  I was fishing somewhat fast water and in a depth of about 7/12' from lead to indicator.  I was able to make long casts and perfect presentations and once the fish hit, I was able to set immediately and control the fish better with a bit more leverage than a 9' rod.  Did I mention these fish were pissed off and crazy?  They were and did things that I didn't know fish could do!  One other thing I want to recommend once you get a 10' rod is a line to match.  I am a big fan of the Rio Indicator II lines. They make these rods perform the way they were designed to.  It doesn't do much good to put a Rio LT line on one of these rods.  It just doesn't make sense.  There are some disadvantages to these rods though.  If you run into a BWO hatch, I don't really want to be tossing #22 Duns with a 10' rod.  It could do it, but I prefer to be prepared with a shorter 9' or 8 1/2' 4 or 5wt. rod for these hatches.  So there you have it.  You need a 10' Rod for nymphing.  Just take my word for it.  If you don't believe me, let me take you out on a guide trip and you can use one and you will see.
My favorites:  Hardy Zephrus and Orvis Helios 2.  The Orvis Recon is also another good choice with a lower cost.

12 comments:

  1. I agree with Juan on this one. I've been fishing with the Redington Hydrogen 10' 4wt. This rod is very light and has a nice soft tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Juan on this one. I've been fishing with the Redington Hydrogen 10' 4wt. This rod is very light and has a nice soft tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice! Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to launder up the cash without my wife knowing for a new rod. haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try selling stuff on Craigslist. People buy the craziest stuff. I once sold a box of used light bulbs and made $20. True story.

      Delete
  4. I love the Scott A4 1004 when it's not too windy. It can throw typical bobber rigs, but also Czech nymphs the Gallatin nicely. If the wind picks up I grab a Sage Pulse 697 or a Winston GVX Select 890 and get dirty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Scott rod is a nice rod to nymph with. Be glad you have it.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started fishing a Redington Voyant 10' 5 wt this weekend. Going to change my nymphing game. Longer lever. It's physics!!!! And at $190.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking at 10' Nymphing rods in 3wt and 4wt for Arkansas, Blue, and Colorado Rivers. How big of fish can you land with the 3wt rods? Looking at the Gloomis PRO4x 10' 3wt and 4wt along with CZECH NYMPH GLX in 3wt and 4wt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Juan. Just checking in on this old post. I have the 10ft 5wt H2. Is a wonderful rod and casts especially well with with Rio single hand spey line. Your earlier comment suggests it is on par with zephrus, so you know if any other 10 5 has been released which would go better? I hear the 10 foot sage x casts wonderfully, especially the 4 wt whi CV h would no doubt double as a euro nymphing rod. Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't played around with many other 10' rods lately except for one. The new Hardy Zephrus Ultralight is an awesome rod that I own. I have it in the 4 and 5 weight lines. They are not 10' though, they are 9'9" rods. This helps keep them lighter in hand and with the swing weight. They are wonderful rods. They basically replaced my 10' rods for me personally. I still use the 10'ers for guiding. I prefer the 4wt. on the South Platte and the 5wt. on the Arkansas. These rods are much lighter than any other 10' rods and are easier to euro nymph with because they are so light. They also offer them in 2 and 3 weight rods with would work even better as a Euro nymphing rod.

      Delete
  9. Pro Dissertation Writing provide best doctoral dissertation writing services online in the UK. Our expert PhD dissertation writing service will provide assistance related to doctoral dissertation.

    ReplyDelete