Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Tying the Mercury RS2, PMD

Here is a short video on tying the Mercury RS2.  This is the PMD version, but you can change colors easily to match any insect you want to .  I only tie these in PMD and Adams Gray color.  Maybe black as a third color.  Do me a favor and tie your tails a bit shorter than I did.  I didn't notice that they were a bit long until I looked at the fished fly in my hands.   I was in a hurry to get this done.  See what happens when you rush things?


Tying the PMD Mercury RS2 from Juan Ramirez on Vimeo.
A quick and easy tie, this is a true guide fly.  Easy to change colors and to get a different look, this thing is effective in PMD, gray and black to name a few.  I would keep the tails a bit shorter than what I did here.

8 comments:

  1. Hno. de los anzuelos, Juan:
    Muy linda mosca y rápida de atar.
    ¿Con qué línea y para qué situación la usas?.
    Desde la provincia de Corrientes, Argentina,
    Un abrazo y,...
    Un afectuoso sapukay.-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of a group of fibers for the tail, as opposed to the 2split (that's the part that kills me when tying #22 and higher).

    Thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. C.A.,

    Please don't make the tails as long as I did!!!!
    I am embarrassed by my tails. Oh well, I'll get over it.
    The fiber tails make this fly that much easier and I don't think the fish will realize that they are not split.

    Juan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leo,

    I use this fly during the summer when I expect PMDs to be on the menu. Some days this is just the answer for those fish gobbling up PMD nymphs. A very easy fly to tie indeed.

    Juan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like RS2s. Trout seem to continue to eat one that's well presented after seeing them for all these years. Curious, what's with the brown wing? Kind of like a dark wing case when bugs are ready to hatch?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The brown wing is how I have seen this fly tied for years. I didn't come up with the idea. I assume that it is for the mature nymphs, with the darker wings pads, just as you mentioned.

    Juan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey man I just wanted to thank you for this tutorial. I tied up a few of these last week and the fish loved them at the Arkansas on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you were able to have fun with this pattern. Most people only think of the standard gray pattern for fishing BWO hatches, but this works just great for other times of the year. Black also works well for tricos.

      Delete