Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The rod I want

I have finally found the rod that I have been looking for. I have been searching for an 8' 4wt. dry fly rod. I turned down the opportunity to buy a Scott G 8' 4wt a few yeas ago and now regret doing so. I have been searching for that model with no luck. I stumbled upon this site and my dream rod was right there. A Scott G2 8' 4wt. There is only one problem. It is made in Colorado, but only sold in Japan, part of Scott's exclusive partnership with Japanese dealers. I contacted my Scott rep and asked if one could be obtained, but no, they are not available in the US. The cost for these are 94,500 yen and that is roughly a little over 1,000 US dollars. A bit high for my tastes. So the search continues.




4 comments:

  1. That doesn't make sense. How much of a market is there in Japan compared to the US?

    ReplyDelete
  2. From whatI hear, it's a pretty big market. A lot of higher end products make their way to Japan since there is a demand and a market for them. Whiting Farms does a ton of business in Japan. They are willing to pay for the best products and in many instances, they never get used, but are for display only. The Scott bamboo rod maker has to put aside some rods for the U.S. market, otherwise they would all go overseas to rod collectors.

    Juan

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's the difference between the G2 that are sold here and in Japan?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leng,

    From what I understand, the rods made specifically for Japan have a different feel from ours. I have only felt the old 7'10"G a few years ago and it did feel much different. I understand that yamame, the native? fish in Japan is smaller and therefore the rods are a bit different. You cannot get any of the Japan Specials here inthe US. That's all I really know about these Japan Special rods.

    Juan

    ReplyDelete