Thursday, June 11, 2015

Goodbye to the Hardy Zenith?

Recently, I have heard that my favorite rod, The Hardy Zenith is being discontinued.  Like all great rods before it, it has come time to replace it with a newer material, a newer idea. While I have done many "experiments " on different rods over the last two years, I found that this rod is just a perfect all around rod for me.  Specifically, the 9' 5wt rod is perfect as an all purpose rod that can handle anything.  My favorite rod in the series is the 8'6" 4 wt. rod.  Perfect for the dry fly fishing, it is delightful.  The rods will be going on sale at your local Hardy dealer, so I'd try to find one if you can. Otherwise, you could wait for the latest and greatest to be announced.  I it appears that there will be two new line ups in the Hardy world.  The Hardy Zephrus is what I assume is the replacement for the Zenith.  It uses Sintrix 440, which was used in the Zenith series.  I am assuming that these rods will be similar in sizes and price.   Hardy has not released any information yet, so this is only speculation on my part. (I have confirmation that this is the case).
One other rod that will be released is the Hardy Wraith, a high dollar, ultra fast action fly rod.  Think Sage one and Sage Method style.  This is based off of Sintrix 550, which is the best material available in the Sintrix line up.  If you remember, Hardy used this material in the Hardy Artisian, which was featured in the Yellowstone Angler a couple years ago and got awesome marks for feel, even better than the Zenith.  The Artisan was produced in England so the cost was prohibitave to most of us and I've never even seen one.   So hang on and go grab a Zenith rod or wait to see what is coming out later this year.  I am sure they will be something special.

 

10 comments:

  1. South Platte Fly Shop in Woodland Park picked up a bunch of Zenith rods when they found out they were discontinued. They have plenty of weights and lengths to choose from and are being sold at 30% off. If you want one come get it quick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bob. It's an awesome rod. I am looking forward to see what the new ones feel like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just got back from buying a HZ 590-4. Hopper you are a bad man! Kidding, I've been coveting one of these for a while based off yours and others recommdations. Cast it on the grass but looking forward to a session on the river on Friday. Thanks for your review, your insight is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say sorry but you and I both know it was a wise choice. How did it go on the water. Lawn casting is great but actually fishing it is just a different feel. Glad you pulled the trigger! Enjoy it. And you are welcome!

      Delete
  4. Juan - check out our review of the new Wraith: http://www.tridentflyfishing.com/blog/hardy-wraith-fly-rod-review-590-5wt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben, great review! Thanks for sharing this. I am excited to get these rods in my hands and see what they feel like. Have you been able to cast the Zephrus?

      Delete
    2. I have cast the Zephrus, but in an 8'6" 5wt so I didn't review it. It was amazing. Can't wait to cast it in a 9'. Much softer than the Wraith, which is a good thing.

      Delete
  5. Hey Juan, thanks for the heads up on the Hardy Zenith closeout! I picked one up off ebay a couple weeks ago and a friend grabbed one too. I fished it in Wyoming and Montana on a recent trip and love it. Thanks again man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are enjoying the new rod!! Great purchase.

      Delete
  6. Notified my Wraith is at the shop but can't cast until late December.

    ReplyDelete