Sunday, June 26, 2016

Roll Cast Baby!!

When I get people on the stream who have never fly fished before, or even those that have tried it a time or two, I keep them on a tight leash in terms of their casting.  I teach them how to roll cast and that is it.  As we get more and more rising fish, I will take the time to teach how to throw a dry fly, but for the most part, we throw indicator rigs and I don't let them overhead cast.  Why you might ask?  Have you ever tried to teach some one who has never fished how to throw an indicator rig?  That is why.  If you haven't, you might want to give it a try and let me know how it goes.  Just a tip here, take an extra leader or two!!
As beginners, I don't think they need to try and throw an overhead cast.  I want them to spend time fishing, not untangling their knots.  I always tell them that they catch more fish when their flies are in the water, not tangled up on the rods.  It usually make sense to them, so why doesn't it make sense to us?  If you are new to this, or even if you have been fishing for a few months now, keep roll casting!  Don't get in a hurry and try to be like everyone else.  I still get tangled a lot when I try to make longer casts with an indicator rig.  It's really not that hard to do.  Add in some wind and you will have one hell of a mess.  Remember how I told you that you can catch more fish with your flies in the water?  Really, it's true.  So next time, go out and roll cast more.  Get better at it and make it an integral part of your fly fishing skills.  You will tangle less and spend more time with your flies in the water, thus leading to better stories on the way home with your buddies.
You can thank me later for the tip!!!
-HJ
Roll casting keeps you in the game to score more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment