Friday, October 4, 2013

The Foam Back Emerger



The Foam Back Emerger is one of my favorite flies to fish year round.  It's proven it's self time after time.  I used to fish them a lot in size 20, but recently, I have been using them more in size 26.  They are still pretty easy to tie in that size.  Everything is just a bit smaller and there is less space to place it on, but it's doable.  A great fly to use during the BWO hatch, I only tie them in chocolate color and have found that a trailing shuck may be useful and I do add that to most of my bigger (#20!) flies.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Juan. Seems simple enough to tie unless you have fat fingers like Moi. Nice job though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i tie something almost identical but i use some midge flash under the foam as an under wing. i had combined a foam wing emerger, k.f. flasher and a zebra midge. it has been the best midge pattern i've fished. of course i call it mikes midge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, it sounds like a great pattern. Can't go wrong combining those patterns.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the video. I'm going down to the San Juan later this month and this is a fly that is a local favorite. I need to tie up a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tie them in size 24 and 26...if you can......

      Delete